Sunday, December 27, 2009

I can read you like an open book.

Sunday, December 27th, 2009

Sadly, today I left Kentucky after a mere two days time there to come back to San Francisco. And again, I didn't really use any public transit. My brother Brandon and his fiance Lisa took me to the airport, and yes, B, we'll leave a little earlier next time. I was not the last to board, but almost all the seats were already filled when I boarded. For some reason, the airport security thought my new necklace from my aunt Lu might be dangerous. Really, only in a bar fight, and I generally don't engage in those on a plane.

The reason I'm posting is that on both legs of my flight, I had my headphones on and was reading the book The Bluegrass Conspiracy. Despite having both headphones which inhibit hearing, and a book that was taking my attention, my seatmates wanted to gab with me. For the most part, that was fine. I don't mind making polite conversations with strangers, but I did wonder what these two men's motivations were.

Now, before you jump to the conclusion that they were hitting on me (and please remember that some of this was at 6am), they were both married, which both informed me of soon into the conversation without me inquiring. It just surprised me that two people had such a strong desire to talk to someone that they decided they would try to talk to someone who was obviously otherwise engaged.

Strange enough, but then, on the shuttle ride to my car, the driver carried on a soliloquy about the ongoing war between shuttle drivers and cab drivers, or at least in his mind there is one. I was glad to get to my car where only the radio would talk to me.

2 comments:

  1. You look so friendly, even with headphones on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha, I really don't get that. When someone is obviously engaged in entertaining themselves....why bore them with your small talk?!?!

    Enjoying your blog Jane!!:)

    ReplyDelete